Two nights ago, someone got into Mike's truck and ransacked the entire thing, stealing an older iPod (plus iPod car gadgets) and our GPS (alas, poor Lizzie, nevermore to give us directions as we wander through this foreign land). Happily, there was no damage to the truck. Unhappily, it was parked right outside of our apartment, which is apparently not safe. Oh yeah, and things were stolen!! What is wrong with people, that they feel the need to break into people's cars and take things?
I'm reminded of a scene from Gone in 60 Seconds (yup, I'm referencing it) where one of the characters has just worked "hard" to steal a car, only to pull out of the garage and have another car thief attempt to carjack him. He punches the carjacker in the face, gets out of the car, and kicks him -- all the while complaining about the way kids these days don't want to work for anything, and just want to freeload off of other people's hard work. Of course, I'm not condoning car theft, but I like his message: nobody wants to work for anything anymore. It seems like everywhere you turn, there are more people looking for handouts.
Just the other day, Mike opened the door to a couple of kids who were (of course) selling something: magazines. Working to earn their "points" so they could go to Cancun or something. How exactly is it considered "working" to knock on people's doors and ask for money?
I don't know, maybe I'm just turning into one of those preachy old farts who spouts off about "kids these days" and their bad habits, and how much better it was in the old days when I was a kid. I mean, none of my friends want to work either, but they're out there holding jobs and doing it anyway so they can earn their keep. Nobody would choose to work if they could just have the money for free, but that just doesn't happen anymore. The moral of the story: if you want something, DON'T F***ING STEAL IT FROM ME!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment