Saturday, July 4, 2009

Futbol, Fireworks, and Fireflies

AHH, THE 4TH OF JULY. Yup, Mike and I spent the evening watching the Columbus Crew take on DC United. It wasn't their best game, but in the end they tied (1-1) and considering the bad refs and the oddly unenthusiastic crowd (at least, until the Crew scored their goal), I guess that's good enough for me. After the game, they had a nice little fireworks show in the light rain, and then Mike and I headed home. Of course, the drive wasn't entirely uneventful either (we had to phone in a drunk driver who was alternating between driving into oncoming traffic and going up onto the curb -- at one point, narrowly missing a telephone pole). When we got home, we walked into the courtyard in our apartment complex and saw some fireflies drifting lazily in the dark. It's the first time I've seen them since I was on vacation with my family in Washington, DC, over twenty years ago. It was a lovely way to come home, especially after the semi-disappointing game and the tense ride back. Now, back in our nice quiet apartment, the booming of not-so-distant fireworks fills the air like quiet thunder, and flashes of colored night air play above the treetops. We're not close enough that we can see the actual fireworks, but the glowing pulses of light are a nice pseudo-Northern Lights (this coming from a person who has yet to see the Northern Lights, of course, because I'm sure that when I do I will regret making such an undoubtedly silly statement). With the sounds of celebration pounding outside our windows, I can say that this has been a lovely way to spend Independence Day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment